How to File a Police Report in San Antonio, TX

By Julia Drake

If you live in the San Antonio, Texas area and are a victim of a crime, you should report the crime to the San Antonio Police Department (SAPD). There are different ways that you can file a police report with the SAPD. Depending on the type of crime and whether it is an emergency situation or not, you may be able to file a police report by phone, in person or online.

Reporting a Crime by Phone

Call 911 in an emergency situation if you need an officer dispatched to your location. This goes for if a person is threatened, injured or a crime is in progress.

Call the SAPD at 210-207-7273 in a non-emergency situation (if no one is in immediate danger.)

File a police report over the phone when you call the non-emergency line and obtain a case number. A Report Expeditor may call you back to take your information and assign you a case number if the crime is over 30 minutes old. When filing a police report over the phone, you can request that an officer be dispatched to your location if you need one.

Reporting a Crime in Person

Visit a SAPD Substation and file a report in person. You can find a local SAPD Substation on the SAPD website by clicking on the "SAPD Information" link on the side bar and then clicking on the "Substation Map" link.

Obtain a Police Self-Report Form and fill it out at the police station.

Give the completed Self-Report Form to a Police Service Agent at the front desk and obtain a case number for your crime.

Reporting a Crime Online

Visit the SAPD homepage and click on the link, "Filing Police Reports Online," under the "Featured Pages" heading. Crimes filed online are non-emergency crimes and the suspect is typically unknown.

Click on the link, "Crime Description Guide," to see if you can report your type of crime online. Types of crimes that you can report online include theft, burglary and criminal mischief. The Crime Description Guide will help you select the appropriate title for your crime.

Return back to the "Filing Police Reports Online" web page and click on the link, "Property Crimes Online Reporting Form," if you are reporting one of the following crimes: burglary coin-op machine, burglary of vehicle, criminal mischief/vandalism ($500 or less), graffiti ($500 or less), theft of property ($500 or less), theft of service ($500 or less) or theft of gas, beer or cigarettes ($500 or less). If you are reporting forged checks, credit card abuse from outside San Antonio or a vehicle accident with no injuries, you can click on the appropriate link at the top of the page to go the specific form. Credit card abuse, forgery or vehicle accident reports must be filled out by hand and mailed to the SAPD.

Click on the link, "Online Information Reporting Form," if you are reporting lost property but do not know whether it was stolen. If you lost a firearm, you must call the SAPD at 210-207-7273 rather than report the crime online.

Complete your online report form, making sure to include your contact information and then submit the form.

Wait to hear from the SAPD. You may have to wait 48 to 72 hours before you are contacted through email by a report-taker. The report-taker will give you a case number.

About the Author

Julia Drake has been writing since 2007 when she had her first article published in “The Beltane Papers.” She received her Bachelor of Arts in women studies from the University of Washington. She recently completed her Master of Arts in women’s spirituality at the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article