How to Report Abuse to Disabled Persons

••• Jupiterimages/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images

Step 1

Record any abuse that you see by taking pictures of injuries, attempting to record verbal abuse, writing down the dates and time that you have seen or suspect abuse occurred and asking the disabled person if the abuse took place. Turn the records over to the authorities.

Step 2

Contact the police immediately via 911 or the local emergency phone number if you are an eyewitness to a disabled person being abused. Notify the police if you see an abused disabled adult get verbally yelled at, emotionally abused or physically harmed.

Step 3

Report suspicion of abuse to the disabled person's doctor, social worker or the manager of the group home or other living facility where the disabled person resides. Offer any proof of evidence that you have collected to show why you suspect abuse. Report the abuse to family members if you suspect that the abuse is taking place in a facility or public venue.

Step 4

Call, write or visit the state's Department of Health and Human Services or call the state hotline to report abuse. Elder abuse can be reported to the Department of Elderly Services. Child abuse can be reported to the Department of Children's Services. All other abuse can be reported to the Department of Public Health or emergency hotlines provided for this purpose by your state.


About the Author

Jeanne Dober has been a professional writer since 2007. She ghostwrites for private clients creating Web articles and copy writing projects and also writes short fiction stories. Dober's articles specialize in animals, health care, telephones, crafts and business topics. She graduate from Southern New Hampshire University with a Bachelor of Arts in psychology and a minor in English.

Photo Credits

  • Jupiterimages/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images