How to Change the Name on My Green Card After a Divorce

Change the information on your green card online or through the mail.
••• Jupiterimages/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images

Your permanent residence card, also known as your green card, must reflect your correct name. If you marry or divorce and change your name you are required to notify the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) in a timely manner. The process of replacing your green card to accurately reflect your new name is a lengthy process; you must fill out the appropriate application and attend a biometrics meeting.

By Mail

Print a copy of Form I-90, the application to replace a green card, from the USCIS website ( Form I-90 is also obtainable from any USCIS office location.

Complete each line on form I-90. You must provide your personal information, your birth information and make note of the change you want to make on your green card, which is your surname because of marriage ordivorce.

Include a copy of your photo identification and your marriage or divorce decree with your application. Write a check or money order payable to the US Department of Homeland Security in the amount of $450. This amount includes your $365 application fee and an $85 biometrics appointment fee.

Mail your application, supporting documents and payment by regular mail to:


Post Office Box 21262

Phoenix, AZ 85036

Or by express mail to:


1820 E. Skyharbor, Circle S, Floor 1

Suite 100

Phoenix, AZ 85034

You will receive notification through the mail stating the date and time of your biometrics appointment to which you are required to attend. Bring with you your marriage or divorce decree and photo identification. Once you have attended your appointment and your application is processed you will receive your new green card through the mail.

Apply Online

Apply for a new green card online. The USCIS website allows green card holders to fill out an online I-90 application instead of a paper application if you choose.

Complete the online application, check for mistakes and submit your application to the USCIS.

Mail your supporting documents and payment to:

Nebraska Service Center

Attn: E-Filed I-90 Application

Post Office Box 87090

Lincoln, NE 68502-7090

Your application is not processed until your supporting documents and payment are received. You will be informed by mail of the date and time of your biometrics appointment. You will receive your replacement green card once you attend your appointment and your application is processed.

Related Articles