How to Replace My Work Permit

An Employment Authorization Document (EAD), commonly known as a work permit, grants legal aliens the right to work while residing in the United States. The EAD must be presented to an employer upon hire to prove authorization to work in the U.S. If your work permit has been lost, stolen or damaged beyond repair, apply for a replacement card through the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).

Call the USCIS National Customer Service Center at 800-375-5283 to request form I-765. Forms are also available for download at the USCIS website. Eligible applicants may submit the application electronically.

Complete the application with the required information. Check the appropriate box to indicate that you are applying for a replacement card.

Read More: EAD Renewal Process

Gather your Arrival/Departure Record (I-94), two photographs of yourself taken within 30 days of the application and a copy of either your last EAD or photo ID issued by the federal government. Acceptable photo identification includes a passport, visa or birth certificate containing your picture.

Make a check or money order in the amount of $340 payable to the United States Department of Homeland Security. Checks and money orders must be cut out of a U.S. bank and in the form of U.S. currency.

Include a request for a fee waiver if you are cannot afford the filing fee. Your request should include a statement that the information provided is true and correct under penalty of perjury, as well as the reason you are unable to pay the fee. Provide supporting documentation of income and expenses.

Mail the completed I-765, required documents and filing fee or fee waiver request to the Service Center location according to your immigrant status as indicated on form I-765 instructions.

Check the status of your application online at the USCIS website. You should receive a notice by mail from USCIS upon receipt of your application. Enter the receipt number online to determine the status of your replacement work permit.


  • Applicants who are requesting a fee waiver must send the application by mail and are not eligible to submit the form electronically.
  • If a fee waiver is denied, all documents will be returned to the applicant and must be re-submitted with the applicable fee.


  • The filing fee does not apply to applicants who are dependents of some foreign governments and international organizations or NATO personnel.

Related Articles