How to Order a Replacement Social Security Card Online

By Taymika Byrd - Updated March 20, 2018

id form image by Alexey Klementiev from <a href='http://www.fotolia.com'>Fotolia.com</a>

You can obtain all the information you need to get a replacement social security card online, however, you will still need to mail or bring in your application and information to the Social Security Administration (SSA) office. This is how they are able to obtain proof of your identity. SSA has all the necessary forms and information to apply for your new card on its website. If you mail in your application and information, the SSA should return any information or original documentation you provided.

Go to the Social Security Administration website and click on the Social Security Number button located on the home page. This will direct you to get a new or replacement card.

Create an account in order to download the application you will need to fill out and bring or mail to the Social Security office. This form is free. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader, you will have to first download the free software before you are able to view the application.

Select "Learn what documents you need" to find out what exact documentation is required for your specific situation. You cannot get your social security card without the appropriate identification. For example, the documentation needed for a child is not the same as what is needed for an adult. Your documents will need to be original or copies certified by the issuing agency; the SSA will not accept photocopies or notarized copies. U.S. citizens can use a driver's license, state identification, birth certificate (certified) or passport. Non-U.S. citizens will need documentation from the Department of Homeland Security regarding immigration status.

Go to the Social Security Administration home page and click on the "Find a Social Security Office" link. Enter your ZIP code and the site will provide you with the nearest SSA office. This is the office you will need to bring or mail your application and information.


Note: Special instructions apply to people who live in or get mail in Brooklyn, New York.; Queens, New York; Orlando, Florida; Sacramento County, California; Phoenix, Arizona (Maricopa County and Apache Junction Area); Las Vegas, Nevada; or Greater Twin Cities Metropolitan Area, Minnesota.

If you live outside the United States you can click on the "Service Around the World" link.

About the Author

Taymika Byrd is a business professional from New Orleans. Writing professionally since 2001, she has authored content for the Girl Scouts of Southeast Louisiana in both the "Girl Guide" and "Outdoor Living Skills." Byrd holds an M.B.A. and is pursuing her Ph.D. in international business from the University of Phoenix.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article