How to Replace a Social Security Card in Georgia

••• birth marriage and death image by Warren Millar from

Related Articles

A social security card is used for many purposes other than that for which it was designed. Originally, a social security card was only used in employment, so retirement or disability benefits could be credited to you. Today, social security cards are required for identification of your children in order to claim them on income taxes, for many health insurance policies, and even to enroll in school. If your social security card is lost, you may need to obtain a replacement. In Georgia, you can do this by filling out a form obtained off the internet, or from your local social security office, and then submitting it with proper documentation.

Go to the social security website. Select the "Apply for a replacement social security card" option. Download Form SS-5. You can also obtain the form from your local social security office. Fill out the form completely.

Read More: How to Order a Replacement Social Security Card Online

Obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate. If you were not born in the United States, obtain proof of citizenship. Call 1-800-772-1213 to locate a social security office in your area and information about alternative documents you may use if you do not have the documents listed above.

Take or mail the completed application and document(s), which will be returned to you, to your local social security office. If you choose to mail them, include your mailing address for return of the documents.


  • You are only entitled to three copies of your social security card in a calendar year and 10 in a lifetime, so be careful with them. Additional cards may be issued, but only if you show proof of significant hardship.


  • If you do not have a certified copy of your birth certificate, you can use other documents to prove your identity. Click on the link below to determine which documents are acceptable. If you are uncertain whether any of the documents you have will suffice, call 1-800-772-1213. To find the location of your nearest local social security office, go to the second link listed in Reference below.