How to Get a Non Driver's ID Without a Certified Birth Certificate

By Si Kingston - Updated March 27, 2017

A certified U.S. birth certificate often is submitted by applicants to obtain a state-issued identification card. This document is used to show both proof of identity and citizenship, but other documents can be submitted in place of a birth certificate. All documents submitted to apply for an ID card must be the original, not a copy. Acceptable documents vary slightly from state to state; contact your state's department of motor vehicles to verify acceptable substitutes for a certified U.S. birth certificate.

Provide a passport. A U.S. passport or Canadian passport can be submitted instead of a certified U.S. birth certificate.

Submit a U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the State Department, a Canadian birth certificate, or a birth certificate issued from a U.S. Territory such as Guam or the Philippines. Any of these documents can be submitted in place of a certified U.S. birth certificate.

Show proof of Native American heritage. Native American's can submit a Federal Proof of Indian Blood Degree or a USCIS American Indian card instead of a certified birth certificate.

Provide a military identification card in place of a birth certificate. The ID must indicate that you are currently active or a reserve duty member, a dependent of a military member, a retired military member, medical or religious military personnel or discharged from the military. Some states also will accept a military Common Access Card but only if it displays that you're active, active reserve duty or active selected reserve member.

Submit citizenship, naturalization or Alien documents. Acceptable original documents include a Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship, a identification card from Northern Mariana, a U.S. Citizen ID Card issued by USCIS, a temporary or permanent resident card, a nonresident Alien Canadian Border Crossing Card, a Mexican Border Crossing Card with a valid I-94 standing, which indicates that your allowed to temporarily be in the U.S., or a U.S. Border Crossing identification card with a valid I-94 standing. Many states also will accept a Refugee Travel document, an Employment Authorization Card, or an order from an immigration judge granting asylum.

Provide a certificate issued by the state's department of corrections, youth authority or parole board. This document must indicate your full name and birth date.

About the Author

Si Kingston has been an online content contributor since 2004, with work appearing on websites such as MadeMan. She is a professional screenwriter and young-adult novelist and was awarded the Marion-Hood Boesworth Award for Young Fiction in 2008. Kingston holds a Bachelor of Arts in English from Mills College.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article