How to Get a New York State Replacement Birth Certificate

Gte a copy of your New York State Birth Certificate online, in the mail, or over the phone.

birth marriage and death image by Warren Millar from Fotolia.com

In order to apply for certain types of certifications or to enroll your child in school, you will need a copy of your birth certificate. If you don't have one, you can usually request one from the state in which you were born. If you were born in New York, you will need to request a birth certificate from the New York State Department of Health. You can request a copy via the phone, Internet, or through the mail.

Download the Birth Certificate Mail-in Application from the New York State Department of Health website. Fill out the application completely, including the name of the person on the certificate, that person's date of birth, and their parental information. Send the application, a check or money order in the amount of $30 made out to the New York State Department of Health, and a copy of your Drivers License, Passport, or other government ID to "Certification Unit, Vital Records Section, New York State Department of Health, P.O. Box 2602, Albany, NY 12220-2602."

Go to VitalChek.com and click on the "Birth Certificate" radio button and click "Continue." Follow the prompts and enter all of the information. You will need a credit card for this transaction and will be charged $45 for the certificate plus $7.45 for the service, in addition to $12.00 for UPS shipping. Scan a copy of your government-issued ID an upload it to the site when it prompts you to. The request will be processed in five to seven business day.

Call VitalChek at 1-877-854-4481. Provide the operator all the information she ask for (this will be a duplicate of the application and what is on line). Provide her with your credit card information. She will ask for a copy of your government- issued ID; make a copy of it and fax it to the number she provides you. The cost for this service will be the same as the Internet one.

About the Author

R.L. Cultrona is a San Diego native and a graduate of San Diego State University. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in theater, television and film with a minor in communications and political science. She began writing online instructional articles in June 2009.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article