How to Do a Change of Address for Medicaid

Medicaid is a state-operated health insurance program for low-income individuals, including the elderly, the disabled, pregnant women and children. The program is funded equally by states and the federal government. Special groups, such as individuals with HIV or breast cancer, are covered under some, but not all, state Medicaid programs. If you are a Medicaid recipient and your address changes, you must report the address change within 10 days.

Locate the contact information for your local Medicaid office. The National Association of State Medicaid Directors maintains a database that contains contact information for each state's Medicaid offices (see Resources).

Obtain a report-of-change form from your local Medicaid office. The name of the form varies by state, but each state's report-of-change form requires the same basic information.


Fill out and submit the report-of-change form with your new address. You will need your full name, your date of birth, your Social Security number and other identifying information to complete the form.



About the Author

Matt Knouff is a mental health professional, programmer and freelance writer from Lafayette, Ind. His educational background includes a bachelor's degree in psychology and anthropology from Purdue University and undergraduate certificates in computer science and music production. He has been writing professionally for three years and currently writes for and other online publications.