How to Get a License to Deal Poker at a Casino in Florida

••• poker image by Cyril Comtat from

Casinos in Florida are regulated by the Division of Pari-mutuel Wagering (PMW) of the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR). Each potential employee must meet the prerequisites imposed by PMW before getting a job at any casino. If you want to work as a poker dealer in Florida, you must first acquire the appropriate occupational license from PMW.

Obtain an application for a “cardroom employee occupational license” from PMW. Download the application from the PMW website, or call PMW at 850-487-1395 for a paper application.

Fill out the application in its entirety; PMW will not process an application that is missing any of the required information. You must disclose any convictions for criminal offenses and provide your fingerprints so that PMW can conduct a background investigation through the FBI. You can have your fingerprints processed at any local law enforcement office; fees vary by jurisdiction.

Sign your application, and mail it to PMW at the address listed on the form along with a check made payable to DBPR for the application fee. As of 2010, the fee for a cardroom employee occupational license is $50. You must have your application properly notarized or sign it in the presence of a PMW official.


  • To get a job as a poker dealer, you must obtain the level of training required by your prospective place of employment. Some casinos or cardrooms require completion of an in-house training program while others hire individuals who have completed a casino dealer course or possess a dealer’s license from another state. Ask each business to which you plan to apply for its prerequisites for employment.

Related Articles