How to Get a Power of Attorney While Deployed

a Power, Attorney
••• Laurel King

While you are deployed, there are three different ways to get a power of attorney. You can get one from the JAG representative in your unit at the nearest FOB/COB (forward or combat operating base), ask that someone back home pick it up from the closest JAG office and mail it to you, or download and print it out yourself using a computer and printer.

Determine which power of attorney you need. General power of attorney forms allow someone (your "agent") to act on your behalf in every way. Special power of attorney forms allow your agent to do only specific things for you such as receive or ship household goods, accept or clear housing, buy or sell property and vehicles, or handle banking transactions and tax matters.

Ask your supervisor if you have a Judge Advocate General representative in your unit, or at the nearest FOB/COB. JAG personnel have copies of all power of attorney forms for use by deployed members.

Read More: How to Write a Power of Attorney Letter

Request that someone back home go to the nearest JAG office and get copies of the power of attorney forms if you can't get them locally. Your home contact can mail the forms to you while you're deployed.

Go to the link provided below (Resource 1) to download a copy of general or special power of attorney forms if you have access to a computer and printer. Scroll down to the last page of the power of attorney you are using. Delete "Naval Postgraduate School Legal Service Office" from the Acknowledgement section. Print out the power of attorney form(s) you need.

Fill out the appropriate information, but do NOT sign at the bottom.

Ask your supervisor or chain of command who your unit notary is. Sign the form in front of the unit notary.

Mail the forms to the person you named as your agent.


  • * DO NOT give a general power of attorney to someone unless you trust the person completely. A general power of attorney gives someone else power to do all legal transactions for you, including open or close bank accounts, apply for and use credit cards or loans, buy or sell property and vehicles, and care for your home and children. * DO NOT use a general power of attorney if a special power of attorney will serve your purpose.


  • * Be sure to take your military ID with you to the notary. Unless he knows you personally, he will have to verify your identity. * Choose an expiration date that will coincide with your return from deployment to avoid having to repeat the process in a few months. The average length of a power of attorney is 12 to 18 months. * Check your power of attorney forms for errors; notaries will not sign and seal documents with corrections on them. If you make a mistake, print out a fresh copy and start again. * Keep a copy of the signed power of attorney form(s) for your own records.

Related Articles