How to Change a Salvage Title to a Rebuilt Title

A salvaged automobile must pass inspection and receive a rebuilt title before it can legally operate on roads.

Headlight on an old car image by Scott Griessel from Fotolia.com

When a vehicle is a total loss or costs more to repair than its total value, you can obtain a vehicle salvage title. Later, if you rebuild or repair the vehicle to the satisfaction of your state's department of motor vehicles, the department will issue a rebuilt title for the vehicle. You can then register and operate your rebuilt vehicle on state roads. To ensure that rebuilt vehicles are road-ready, states mandate that your vehicle must pass an inspection before receiving the rebuilt title.

Make copies of any receipts or paperwork that document the repairs you have made to the salvaged vehicle. Complete a request for rebuilt savage vehicle exam form. This form can be obtained from a department of motor vehicles office. Turn in the form and the copies of the repair documents to a DMV representative.

Pay the vehicle inspection fee, which varies depending on your state. Allow the DMV special agent to inspect the vehicle for road readiness.

Take the Examination Report that shows the vehicle passed the inspection to the DMV office. Pay the title fee, which varies depending on your state.

About the Author

Michaele Curtis began writing professionally in 2001. As a freelance writer for the Centers for Disease Control, Nationwide Insurance and AT&T Interactive, her work has appeared in "Insurance Today," "Mobiles and PDAs" and "Curve Magazine." Curtis holds a Bachelor of Arts in communication from Louisiana State University.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article