How to File a Labor Complaint in Ohio

Related Articles

Recognize Your Rights

Determine the legal basis for your claim. You may have an unpaid wage claim if you were not paid overtime, you did not receive the minimum wage, your employer took out unauthorized deductions from your paycheck or your last paycheck was withheld. The Bureau of Wage and Hour Administration investigates these types of claims. Additionally, this agency investigates claims made by individuals who work on public works projects. If your minor child was the employee and the employer did not follow Ohio minor labor laws, Ohio's Bureau of Labor and Worker Safety handles the claim.

Download Applicable Form

Download the applicable form from the Ohio Department of Commerce website. For complaints regarding non-payment of wages, non-payment of the minimum wage, unauthorized deductions or non-payment of overtime, complete the minimum wage complaint form. Download the minor labor law complaint form for labor law violations affecting employees under 18 years of age. The prevailing wage complaint form is for employees who worked on public works projects or who were awarded a contract to complete such work.

Complete the Form

Fill out the applicable form in blue or black ink. You will need to provide basic information about your claim, including your contact information, the employer's contact information, your dates of employment and the basis of your claim. There is a longer section that allows you to provide more details about your complaints. You must go to a notary public and get the form notarized before you can submit it.

Support Your Claim

Submit evidence with your claim. For example, include copies of check stubs, time sheets or other employment documents that help substantiate your claim. For prevailing wage claims, submit copies of personal records where you recorded your time that you expended on the project.

Submit Your Claim

Send your form and evidence regarding unpaid wages or public works projects to Ohio Department of Commerce, Division of Industrial Compliance, Bureau of Wage & Hour Administration, P.O. Box 4009, Reynoldsburg, Ohio 43068. For minor labor law complaints, mail your completed form and evidence to the Ohio Department of Commerce, Division of Industrial Compliance & Labor Bureau of Labor & Worker Safety, 6606 Tussing Road, Reynoldsburg, Ohio 43068.