How to Know if a Felony Has Been Dropped

••• Stockbyte/Stockbyte/Getty Images

Clerk's offices can search to see if charges have been dropped.
••• Creatas/Creatas/Getty Images

Call the district clerk's office of the county where the offense occurred. Provide the last name of the defendant and ask if there has been a no bill or motion to dismiss in the file.

The district attorney decides if charges should be dropped.
••• Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images

If the district clerk has no information, call the district attorney offices for the county where the offense occurred and where the victim resides. Provide the last name of the defendant and ask if a charge has been accepted or refused.

If the district attorney has no information, then call the local police department and request to speak with the detective assigned to the case.



About the Author

Abdul Farukhi has been writing and reporting since 2001. His work has been featured in "The Daily Texan" newspaper and various online media outlets. Farukhi graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a bachelor's degree in government and economics and is a licensed attorney in the state of Texas.

Photo Credits

  • Stockbyte/Stockbyte/Getty Images