Proof of Address for License and Voter Registration
If you're applying for a state identification card or driver's license, you will be required to prove you live in the state. For example, Colorado's Division of Motor Vehicles accepts a variety of documents as proof of your Colorado residency, including a telephone bill, utility bill, pay stub, bank statement, rent receipt, homeowners or renters insurance policy, and vehicle registration. Kansas accepts many of the same documents as well as a Kansas Voter Registration Card, W-2 and 1099 tax forms -- even mail sent to you from a federal, state, county or city government agency. If you are registering to vote, you can use many of the same documents. For example, in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Idaho, you can prove your residency with a state-issued ID or license. Wisconsin and Idaho also accept student IDs.
Proof of Address for College Enrollment
To take advantage of the in-state tuition rate at a public university, you must prove you are a resident of the state where the institution is located. For example, to qualify for in-state tuition at Florida's Miami Dade College, you can verify your residency with such documents as a Florida-issued identification card or driver's license, voter registration card, vehicle registration or high school transcripts. You must present more than one of these documents and they must have been issued at least 12 months before school starts. Santa Monica College accepts many of these same documents when issued by the state of California and at least one year and one day before you start school.
- Colorado Department of Revenue, Division of Motor Vehicles: Proof of Address
- Kansas Department of Revenue: Driver's License Proof of Identity, Documents Required for a Kansas Driver's License or Non-Driver ID Card
- College Board: Guide to State Residency
- Miami Dade College: Florida Residency for Tuition Classification - Required Documentation
- Santa Monica College: Acceptable and Unacceptable Proofs of Residency
- State of Wisconsin, Government Accountability Board: Proof of Residence, Wisconsin's New Voter Photo ID Law
- Minneapolis Elections and Voter Services: Election Day Registration
- Idaho Votes: Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Voter Registration
- AmmentorpDK/iStock/Getty Images