How to Prove Your Address

Woman working on laptop with stack of papers at coffee house.
••• AmmentorpDK/iStock/Getty Images

Applying for a driver's license, registering to vote and applying for college are all situations that might require you to prove where you live. Although state laws and requirements may vary, the documents you can use to verify your address tend to be similar and include such things as a utility bill, mortgage or lease agreement and vehicle registration.

Proof of Address for License and Voter Registration

If you're applying for a state identification card or driver's license, you will be required to prove you live in the state. For example, Colorado's Division of Motor Vehicles accepts a variety of documents as proof of your Colorado residency, including a telephone bill, utility bill, pay stub, bank statement, rent receipt, homeowners or renters insurance policy, and vehicle registration. Kansas accepts many of the same documents as well as a Kansas Voter Registration Card, W-2 and 1099 tax forms -- even mail sent to you from a federal, state, county or city government agency. If you are registering to vote, you can use many of the same documents. For example, in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Idaho, you can prove your residency with a state-issued ID or license. Wisconsin and Idaho also accept student IDs.

Proof of Address for College Enrollment

To take advantage of the in-state tuition rate at a public university, you must prove you are a resident of the state where the institution is located. For example, to qualify for in-state tuition at Florida's Miami Dade College, you can verify your residency with such documents as a Florida-issued identification card or driver's license, voter registration card, vehicle registration or high school transcripts. You must present more than one of these documents and they must have been issued at least 12 months before school starts. Santa Monica College accepts many of these same documents when issued by the state of California and at least one year and one day before you start school.

Related Articles