The Milwaukee Police Department offers three ways to complete a police report. Filing a police report in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, depends on the type of incident being reported. You can obtain police reports weekdays from the District Three police station or complete one online using a convenient tool available 24 hours a day. The following instructions outlines steps to complete a police report using the city's online reporting tool. These steps are for reporting certain non-emergency events and crimes. For emergencies requiring immediate attention, always contact 911.
Confirm that you meet the criteria for completing a police report online at the City of Milwaukee's website. To complete an online police report, the incident you are reporting must not be an emergency and must have occurred within the Milwaukee City limits with no known suspects. In addition, the incident must not have occurred on a state freeway.
Ensure you have an e-mail address. In order to complete a police report online, you must have a valid e-mail address.
Visit the Online Reporting System webpage on the City of Milwaukee's website. You can report a harassing or obscene phone call, lost property and vandalism using the online reporting tool. You will be asked to complete contact information and submit details about the incident, as well as identify whether the incident occurred against an individual or a business.
Print a copy of the police report. After completing and submitting the police report, you can print a copy of the report for your records. The report will include a case number. Police will review the report and you will be contacted if further investigation is needed.
- If the incident being reporting has a suspect or suspects, or if the total amount of property damage or loss is more than $2,500, you cannot complete an online police report. In addition, you cannot report accidents and theft (including theft from a vehicle, person or building, and theft of license plates) online. In these cases, you should contact the police or complete a police report in person.
- Submitting a false police report is a crime.
- Turn off pop-up blocking software before filing the report.
- If some of the criteria for filling a police report is not met, consult the Frequently Asked Questions link in the resources section of this article for more information.
- Stockbyte/Stockbyte/Getty Images