How to Find a Lost Green Card Receipt Number

If your green card is lost, you should file for a replacement immediately.
••• Digital Vision./Photodisc/Getty Images

A green card, officially known as a permanent residency card, grants an immigrant the right to permanently work and live in the United States. The United States Customs and Immigration Services, (USCIS) a division of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), administers the permanent residency card program. To apply, an applicant must fill out many forms, including Form I-485, along with medical documentation. Upon receiving the application, the USCIS will send back an I-485 receipt along with a serial number that identifies your green card application. If you should misplace this information, it is easy to request a copy.

Call your attorney, if you hired one during the application process. The attorney should have copies of all relevant paperwork, including you application, your medical and residency documentation and your USCIS receipt.

Call USCIS customer service at 1-800-375-5283 to request a copy of your receipt and green card number. Be prepared to provide specific information about your application, such as your Alien Registration Number, name and date of birth.

Read More: Can You Change Your Name After Getting a Green Card?

Go online to the USCIS website and complete a Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, if you need replace your actual green card. If you are outside the U.S. and lost your green card, contact a U.S. consulate, or a USCIS office prior to completing the form. The USCIS will mail you a replacement green card.


  • Always keep photocopies of all applications and documents related to your green card request.

Related Articles