How to Record a Satisfaction of Judgment in Colorado

••• folders with documents image by Alexander Ivanov from

A satisfaction of judgment is a legal document signed by a creditor, and notarized, certifying that a debtor has paid the money he owed a creditor in full. A satisfaction of judgment is then filed, usually by the creditor, with the court. Additionally, if the debt paid was a mortgage, or another loan that his property was used to secure, a copy of the satisfaction of judgment must also be filed with the county recorder (or recorder of deeds) to remove any lien left on the property.

Print a copy of the Satisfaction of Judgment form JDF111 from the Colorado courts website, Or, obtain a copy of the form by visiting a Colorado courthouse.

Read More: How To Pay a Civil Judgment?

Complete the form, but do not sign it. At the top of the form, enter the name of the plaintiff (the creditor) and defendant (the debtor) and supply the case number. Check the box for "partial" or "full" to signify whether the debt has been paid completely or partially. In the subsequent section you will need to enter the dollar amount paid, provide the name of the person who paid and on what date you received the payment. You will also need to specify how much you are owed and on what date the court entered a judgment awarding that money.

Take the completed form to a notary public. Sign the form before the notary and have the notary sign, date and stamp the form.

File the form with the court clerk at the Colorado courthouse that heard the original case. Pay the appropriate filing fee. As of December 2010, the fee for filing a Satisfaction of Judgment was $20.

Related Articles