How to Become a US Citizen Through Employment

Immigration to the U.S. through Employment

Determine whether you are eligible to permanently live and work in the United States. Review the four (4) categories for “permanent status based upon employment” as determined by the U.S. Department of Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS): priority workers, professionals with advanced degrees or abilities, skilled or professional workers, and special Immigrants. Decide the best category under which to apply for employment immigration and permanent status.

Have your U.S. employer complete a request for labor certification (Form ETA 750), and submit it to the U.S. Department of Labor's Employment and Training Administration (ETA). Wait for the ETA to make a decision regarding the request: it will be an approval or denial.

Have your U.S. employer fill out and submit an immigrant visa petition after the labor certification has been approved. This petition is called the Petition for an Alien Worker, Form I-140. Realize that by submitting this petition, your U.S. employer agrees to sponsor your working and living in the U.S. on a permanent basis.

Wait for the USCIS to assign you a visa number. Check the status of your visa at the USCIS website’s visa bulletin. Receipt of the visa number indicates that the immigration visa has been assigned to the applicant and, as the applicant, you are thereby authorized to live and work permanently in the U.S.

Citizenship by Naturalization

Live in the United States as a permanent resident for a minimum of five (5) continuous years. This is the first general requirement for administrative naturalization.

Learn about the history of the United States. Understand the country’s history and its form of government. Study the U.S. Constitution and acquire an attachment to the principles set forth by this document.

Apply for naturalization when all threshold requirements have been met. Obtain the Application for Naturalization, Form N-400, and submit it to the USCIS Service Center with jurisdiction over your area. Include two (2) passport-style photos of yourself. Pay the application fee of $675 ($595 plus biometrics fee of $80 for those under 75 years of age).

Get fingerprinted. Go to one of the fingerprinting locations identified by the USCIS Service Center.

Participate in a naturalization interview. Anticipate the interview notice to arrive by mail from the same USCIS office that processed your application for naturalization. Read the notice for the scheduled day, date and time of the interview. Take note of the location where the interview will be held: while most interviews will take place at the USCIS office, some may be scheduled at an asylum office within the same jurisdiction.

Take the English Language and Civics exams. Demonstrate your command of the English language, and understanding of U.S. government and history, by virtue of your performance on these exams.

Receive a decision. Obtain Form N-652 from your USCIS office and review the results of your interview.

Take the Oath of Allegiance. Prepare to swear or affirm your commitment to supporting and defending the U.S. Constitution when taking the Oath. Await the receipt of your Certificate of Naturalization.


About the Author

Dennie Ho is an independent writer and editor who began writing professionally more than eight years ago. She holds a bachelor’s degree in political science and Spanish, and a master’s degree in government. She has worked professionally as an analyst in the government, higher education and public relations industries.