How to Find Your Native American Tribal Number

Indian Proud Eagle
••• CoreyFord/iStock/GettyImages

The Native American Tribal number is formally know as the Certificate of Degree of Indian or Alaskan Blood (CDIB) number. The CDIB is a document issued by the US Bureau of Indian Affairs that establishes a person's heritage as being part of a nationally recognized Native American tribe. However, the CDIB does not automatically make the individual a tribe member, as tribal law dictates membership eligibility. People wishing to obtain a CDIB can apply for it directly though any of the tribes to which their parents or grandparents belong. Copies of the CDIB are available upon request at the tribal office.

Contact the nearest Bureau of Indian Affairs office (see Resources) and see if the requester has a CDIB on file. If this individual is already registered with a CDIB, simply request a replacement card through the tribal office (see Resources). Since each tribe has different procedures for initiating a replacement CDIB request, contact the office directly for instructions. If the requester does not have a CDIB on file, move to the next step for instructions on obtaining one.

Read More: How to Claim Native Status

Obtain a CDIB application by downloading it (see Resources) or requesting one from the local tribe office or regional office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.

Complete the CDIB application. Expect to provide the full name and date of birth of the requester, along with the full names, tribe, roll number and dates of death (if applicable) of the mother, father, paternal grandmother and grandfather, maternal grandmother and grandfather, paternal great-grandmother and great-grandfather and maternal great-grandmother and great-grandfather. The form also requests information on whether the requester is adopted, as a CDIB cannot be issued on the basis of non-blood relationships.

Deliver the completed CDIB , along with a certified copy of the requester's birth certificate, to the tribe office by mail or in person. The office will process the request with the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Once processing is complete, the CDIB card and documentation are sent by mail to the requester.


  • If the requester's mother or father is not listed on an official government roll, the requester must provide official copies of the parent's birth certificate with the CDIB application. If the requester does not have the roll number for grandparents or great-grandparents, the local tribe office can help to provide this information. Each tribe has its own procedures, so contact the tribe directly to determine the process for searching rolls for relatives.

Related Articles