WWII Veteran Widow Benefits

More than 2 million veterans and widows do not claim their pension plan benefits.
••• military image by michael langley from Fotolia.com

It is widely known that military veterans have benefits accessible to them in due recognition of service to the United States of America, which include retirement, disability and life insurance. However, the benefits extended to veteran widows are not as publicized and often go unclaimed by those who are eligible. The following is a list of veteran widow benefits for widows of veterans who served in World Wars I and II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Persian Gulf War, Desert Storm and the War in Iraq.

Veteran Affairs Pension Plan

Pension plan playments can lessen the financial burdens of a veteran widow.

According to Veteran Aid, more than 2 million veterans and widows do not access their pension plan benefits. Veteran widows are entitled to a pension plan to supplement their incomes. Veteran widows can receive up to $7,094 annually and possibly even more for physically compromised health or other extenuating circumstances. Widows of veterans should go to the Veteran Affairs web site to apply.

Death Gratuity Payment

As next of kin, veteran widows can be eligible for a Death Gratuity Payment in the amount of $100,000. The United States Department of Veteran Affairs states that in order for widows to qualify, the veteran's death must have been a direct result of performing service in the line of duty or a service-connected disability.

Education Funding

Through the United States Department of Veteran Affairs, veteran widows may also be eligible for monetary funds to aid in furthering education. Eligibility expires 10 years from the date of the veteran's death, except if eligibility benefits ended before December 10, 2004, for a widow whose spouse died in active duty, at which point there is a 20-year expiration on educational benefits for the veteran widow. Maximum payments are $925 per month for full-time attendance or less for part-time enrollment. Funds can be used to pursue a high school diploma or GED, post-secondary degrees or on-the-job training.

Related Articles