How to Contact Social Security When Someone Dies

Related Articles

When someone dies you may be overcome with grief and focused on funeral arrangements and taking care of final affairs. If you are the survivor of someone who was receiving Social Security benefits, you need to contact the U.S. Social Security Administration when they die. In many cases the funeral director will do so for you, but if they don't the responsibility lies solely with you. You must do it as soon as possible to receive Social Security benefits and to allow Social Security to stop payments to the deceased.

Ask the director of the funeral home if they faxed form SSA-721 to Social Security. If they did not, you can ask them for one to send to Social Security yourself.

Call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 or 1-800-325-0778 if you need a TTY line.

Visit your local Social Security office if you prefer to take care of matters in person. Find your local Social Security office by going to the Local Office Search site (See Resources).



About the Author

Amanda Rumble has been writing for online publications since 2000, primarily in the fields of computing and technology. She holds a bachelor's degree from the University of Buffalo in information technology. Rumble also focuses on writing articles involving popular video games and Internet culture.