How to Get Free W2 Forms

When employers send out W-2 forms to their employees, original, scannable forms must be used. Employers may order hard copies of the forms directly from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), or the W-2s can be filed electronically through the Social Security Administration.

Contact the IRS

W-2 forms can be ordered by calling the IRS at 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676). Request as many W-2 forms as you like, up to the maximum of 1,000, for the most recent tax year and for the current tax year. For example, in January 2017, W-2 forms were available for 2016 and 2017.

Order Forms Online

The IRS allows you to order W-2 forms online through their website at From the home page, click on the "Business" tab at the top, then under "IRS Resources" at the right, click "Forms and Publications." In the page that opens, under "Order," click "Employer forms and instructions." Fill in the quantity you need, click "Add to Cart" and then check out by entering your name and mailing information. Again, you are limited to 1,000 forms.

File Electronically

You can submit the W-2 information online at the Social Security Administration website. Once the information is filled out, you can print the form and send a copy to the employees. You may also print a copy for your records.


About the Author

Alexis Writing has many years of freelance writing experience. She has written for a variety of online destinations, including She holds a Bachelor of Arts in communication from the University of Rochester.