How to Change a Last Name in Oklahoma

Bride and groom holding hands
••• Jupiterimages/ Images

Related Articles

When you live in the state of Oklahoma, the process to change your last name is not as complicated as in some of the other states. For example, the length of residency requirements is more lenient and the forms that must be completed are fewer. Oklahoma allows you to change your last name for whatever reason you like, with the exception of fraudulent intentions. Changing your last name in Oklahoma due to a marriage or divorce is the easiest way to change your name. For reasons other than marriage or divorce, a few extra steps are needed.

Due to Marriage or Divorce

Marriage License Closeup Detail with Selective Focus

Obtain a certified copy of your marriage license or divorce decree.

person using a landline phone in an office

Contact the companies or organizations you would like to notify of your last name change. This could include credit card and utility companies, the social security administration, insurance companies, colleges or universities and the department of motor vehicles.

Woman talking on phone and writing

Notify the company representative that you have a new last name due to marriage or divorce and that you would like the database updated to reflect your new last name. The company representative may or may not request a copy of your marriage certificate or divorce decree as proof of the name change.

For Reasons Other Than Marriage or Divorce

Detail of exterior of courthouse

Visit your local district courthouse if you have been living in the state of Oklahoma for more than 30 days. If you have not been living in the state for more than 30 days, you do not yet meet the Oklahoma residency requirements to change your name.

write data on the form

Ask the court clerk to provide you with a “Petition For Name Change Of Adult” form. Complete the form by entering the requested information, such as your name, address, date of birth, the last name you wish to have and your reason for desiring a new last name.

Note that you must be 18 years of age or older to complete a name change form. If you are under the age of 18, a parent or legal guardian can complete the “Petition For Name Change Of Minor” form for you.

Blank check

Submit the completed form and the filing fee of $159.30 to the district courthouse clerk. Wait for the court clerk to provide you with the date of your court hearing. This date will be given to you while you are still at the courthouse.

Woman reading

Place a public notice in the legal section of a local newspaper to inform the public of your name change request. The notice must be published at least 10 days before your scheduled court hearing. You must obtain a copy of the published notice along with an affidavit from the newspaper verifying that your notice was published. Provide the copy of the notice and the affidavit to the clerk of the district courthouse.

Courtroom gavel

Attend the court hearing on the date specified. During this hearing the judge will grant a civil action judgment for your request to change your last name. Be sure to ask the court clerk for a certified copy of the judgment before leaving the courthouse.

Woman in kitchen with laptop using cellular phone smiling

Contact all of the companies and organizations that you would like to notify of your new last name. Show your certified copy of the judgment to the company representative as proof of your legal name change.