How to Reverse a Deed Transfer

When you sign a deed transferring your interest in real property, you cannot reverse it simply because you regret your decision. Assuming you are on congenial terms with the person who was the grantee of your deed, he can sign a similar deed transferring the property interest back to you. However, if you signed the deed in an arms-length transaction or if you believe your execution of the deed was the result of fraud, duress, coercion or mistake, you will probably have to file a civil lawsuit to reacquire your interest in the property.

Tell the grantee of the deed of trust---the person who now has your property interest---that you want to reverse the transaction. He'll probably want to know the reason why and will want you to pay the costs required to prepare and record a deed transferring the property back to you.

Prepare the same type of deed used to transfer your property interest to the grantee to return your property interest back to you, if the grantee will agree to do so. For example, if you used a quit-claim deed to transfer your interest, you should use a quit-claim deed to transfer the interest back to you. If you used a grant deed or warranty deed, you should use these same deeds as well. If you don't, the property interest may not be fully transferred back to you.

Read More: How to Transfer a Deed in Texas

Take the grantee to a notary so that his signature can be notarized on the deed transferring the property interest to you. Be prepared to pay the cost of notarizing the deed.

Record the notarized deed at the property records office, typically called the recorder's office, in the county where the property is located.


  • Before you transfer your interest in real property, you should consult an attorney about the consequences of the transfer and whether it's possible to reverse the transfer.


  • If the grantee refuses your request to transfer the property interest back to you, your only option is to file a civil lawsuit, such as a quiet title action. This type of lawsuit is complex and requires the services of an attorney knowledgeable about real property law in your state.

Related Articles