How to Become a Licensed Title Agent

a Licensed Title Agent
••• Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images

A licensed title agent is primarily a salesperson that sells title insurance to homeowners and businesses. While each state has separate licensing guidelines, most require that you have a background in insurance or law. Most states require that you take a licensing exam which may require a special course before sitting for the exam. Tuition and fees may be charged for these courses as well as sitting for the exam itself. Once you are licensed, there are usually continuing education requirements that must be completed each year in order to retain your title agent license.

Step 1

Check your state for the title agent licensing requirements. Start by calling your state’s Department of Financial Services, or equivalent, to get the information required to sit for the title agent licensing exam in your state. Some states may require that you have a certain level of education or work experience in your background, while others may just require test passage for licensing.

Step 2

Take your state’s title agent licensing exam preparation course. Most states require that you take a course before sitting for the licensing exam. These courses are usually sponsored by the state, but still have fees attached that you must pay out of pocket. These courses may be offered online, in video format or in a classroom setting.

Step 3

Sit for your title agent licensing exam. This exam will test the knowledge you gained in your preparation course. Most states require a 70 percent or higher to pass and be licensed as a title agent. If you fail the exam, there may be a waiting period and/or another educational requirement before you can sit for the exam again.

Step 4

Maintain your title agent license. After you are licensed, your state may require that you obtain continuing education credits. These credits are earned by continuing your education and gaining new knowledge about title insurance. The credits are earned usually at seminars about title insurance or in extra classes offered by the state. You will need to provide proof that you have earned and attended these continuing education credit courses.

Related Articles