How to Change a Social Security Disability Payee

a Social Security Disability Payee

Photos.com/AbleStock.com/Getty Images

A Social Security Representative Payee is an individual chosen for the purposes of assisting in managing a recipient's Social Security benefits. Accepting to become a Social Security Representative Payee for someone is a commitment that requires an investment of one’s time and efforts, as the job does not only include the management of a recipient’s Social Security benefits but also involves attending Social Security meetings involving the recipient. Nonetheless, being a Social Security Representative Payee can be a great way to assist a loved one.

Visit the Social Security Office Locator page on the SSA homepage to find the nearest Social Security Office in your location (See Resources).

The page contains a Local Office Search tool that provides information on how to find various Social Security Offices based on an individual's 5-digit ZIP code.

Provide your 5-digit ZIP code in the “Enter your zip code” field, and then click on the “Locate” button to find a Social Security Office in your location.

Visit your local Social Security Office, and inform the Social Security staff member that you would like to change your Social Security Representative Payee. You will be provided with a form to complete allowing you to elect your new payee.

Note that while you have the right to elect a new payee, the payee you elect must also agree to the SSA she is willing to be your payee.

Provide proof to SSA that your new elected payee has accepted to be your payee. The SSA will need to verify your new payee's identity and Social Security card.

About the Author

Eric Som has been writing professionally since 2002, contributing to various websites. He is certified through the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners. Som holds a Bachelor of Arts in English and a Bachelor of Laws from Handong Global University. He also has a Juris Doctor degree from an Ohio law school.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article