Include Proof of Identity
Proof of your identity must also be included with your application. If you're an American citizen, acceptable documents include a driver's license or state-issued identification card or U.S. passport. If you're an immigrant, you can submit your permanent resident card, foreign passport with arrival and departure stamp or employment authorization document. These documents also serve as proof of your eligibility to work in the states.
Provide Proof of New Name
You must also submit recent proof of your name change that shows both your prior and new name. This can be a certified copy of the court order approving your name change, marriage certificate, Certificate of Naturalization showing your new name or divorce decree. If you changed your name more than two years prior to applying, you must include an identity document that shows your old name, such as an old license with your former name. It's OK if the document has expired.
- U.S. Social Security Administration: Application for a Social Security Card
- U.S. Social Security Administration: Learn What Documents You Need To Get A Social Security Card
- U.S. Social Security Administration: How Do I Change or Correct My Name On My Social Security Number Card?
- U.S. Social Security Administration: How Long Will it Take to Get a Social Security Card?
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services: Documents That Establish Both Identity and Employment Authorization
- BAaAej Ayjak/iStock/Getty Images