How to File a Noise Complaint

Excessive noise has the ability to cause a major disturbance in your household. The noise can be from a neighbor's loud music, power tools or loud animals. To report a person for a noise violation, you can file a noise complaint with the local police department.

Find out if the noise qualifies as a violation. Each municipality is going to have different guidelines on what is considered a noise violation. Check with your local government to find out if the person is committing a noise violation.

Go to the police department to file the complaint. Ask them to give you the forms needed to file this complaint.

Read More: How to Break a Lease Due to Noise Violation

Provide the source of the noise, the person responsible and what time of day the noise occurs. The department is going to use this information to investigate the matter.

Allow the department to handle it. The police department will investigate the matter and keep you updated on the outcome. The person is not told the name of the person that made the complaint.

Contact the police department again if the noise continues. The police can then send the matter to the courts. The person is likely to face a fine for the noise violations.


  • Certain noises are often considered a "disturbing of the peace" violation. This is often the case when people are screaming or fighting.
  • Most departments give the resident a chance to eliminate the problem that is causing the noise violation. Give the matter a week or two to be resolved before contacting the police department again.

Related Articles