How to File an Extension for an S Corp

An S corp, sometimes called an S corporation or a pass-through entity, is a business entity, such as a corporation or an LLC, that elects to be taxed under Subchapter S of the Internal Revenue Code. In general, this election allows the business to avoid being taxed at the corporate level. Nevertheless, an S corp must still file a tax return, Form 1120S. If necessary, you can file for a six-month extension of time to file.

Navigate to the Internal Revenue Service website, and enter "forms and publications" in the search box. Select the result titled "Forms and Publications."

Read More: How to Apply for a Tax Extension for an S Corporation

Type "7004" into the search box. Select the result titled "Form 7004."

Fill out your name and contact information at the top of the form.

Type "25" in Part II, Section 1B, where it asks for the form code. This code indicates that you are asking for an extension to file your form 1120S. Do not check the boxes in Part II, Section 2 or 3.

Fill out the remaining tax information in Part III. As an S corp, your "tentative total tax" is likely "0." Note that you should not check the box in Part III, as your S corporation does not qualify under Regulations section 1.6081-5.

File Form 7004 by the regular due date of the tax return. The form can be filed electronically through the IRS e-file service or by sending the form to the appropriate Internal Revenue Service Center.


  • The extension will be granted assuming you complete the form properly, make a proper estimate of the tax and file the form by the due date of the return to which the form 7004 applies-- that is, Form 1120S.

Related Articles