How to Change Your Name on Your SS Card in Georgia After a Marriage

If you recently got married in Georgia and filled out your marriage license using your husband’s last name, the name change is legally effective at the time your marriage license is issued. You’ll probably want to change your last name on your important documents, such as your driver’s license and Social Security card. As long as you have a copy of your marriage license and you submit the required paperwork to have your SS card updated, the Social Security Administration (SSA) will send you a new card.

Obtain the original or a certified copy of your marriage certificate. This document will provide the SSA with proof of your last name before and after the marriage. If you don’t have an original or certified copy of the marriage license, you can obtain one from the Georgia probate court that issued the license or by sending a written request to:

Read More: Documents Needed to Change the Name on a Social Security Card

Georgia Department of Vital Records 2600 Skyland Drive NE Atlanta, Georgia 30319

Gather documents that prove your identity and citizenship. To prove your identity, the SSA will accept a driver’s license, state-issued identity card or U.S. passport. For purposes of proving citizenship, you can use your U.S. passport, birth certificate or a certificate of citizenship or naturalization.

Fill out the application for a new Social Security card. You can obtain this form on the SSA website. You’ll need to enter some personal information, such as your date and location of birth, Social Security number and current citizenship status.

File the application and supporting documents with the SSA. You can mail your paperwork to any Social Security office, or you can hand-deliver the application if you live near a Social Security office.


  • The Georgia Department of Driver Services requires that you update your driver’s license within 60 days of a name change. To change your last name after a marriage, go in person to the local service center and present your old license along with the original or a certified copy of your marriage license. You don’t have to present your Social Security card so it doesn’t matter whether you update your driver’s license before or after submitting your application to the SSA.


  • As you prepare the application for a new Social Security card, you’ll notice a question asking for your parents’ Social Security numbers. This information is only necessary for applicants who are under the age of 18.

    If you apply for a new Social Security card by mail, it will take some time for the SSA to review and return your documents. Therefore, if you expect to need your marriage certificate for other purposes, you may want to obtain an extra certified copy of the document.

Related Articles