How to Replace a Lost Propety Deed

A copy of your deed on file with your local government
••• Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images

You may need something besides aspirin to alleviate part of the sting of writing out those real estate tax checks twice a year, or, at the very least, perhaps you can rest easier knowing that a copy of your current property deed is on file with your local city, county, borough or parish Clerk of Court office. Many of these governments have developed online systems with recent -- or even most -- deed information available through online systems. If you chose not to subscribe to an online service, a personal visit will still satisfy your need for a replacement deed copy.

Call your local city, county, borough or parish Clerk of Court and ask to speak with the real estate office. Determine what information the staff will require to provide a copy of your deed, what hours the office is open and the address of the specific office you should visit.

Visit your local city, county, borough or parish Clerk of Court office at the address specified by your earlier telephone call, during the hours specified and with any documentation you were asked to bring.

Read More: How to Get the Deed for a Property

Follow your local Clerk of Court website instructions to subscribe to its online data services. Locate and print off a copy of your property deed and plat.


  • Obtain at least two replacement copies of your lost property deed and place one in a safe deposit box or other secure location to avoid future searches.


  • If you plan to visit your local clerk of court office, take a copy of your most recent property tax assessment to assist the staff in locating your land parcel.
  • If you want a certified copy of your deed or you find the fees for online subscriptions prohibitively high, a visit to your local clerk of court will provide you with a copy of your deed for only a nominal fee.

Related Articles