How to Get a Single Status Affidavit

••• GladiusStock/iStock/GettyImages

Related Articles

If you are a U.S. citizen or legal resident planning to marry outside of the country, you may need a single status affidavit.

If you are a U.S. citizen or legal resident planning to marry outside of the country, you may need a single status affidavit. This document affirms that you are not already legally married and are free to marry under the laws of the country that requires the affidavit. Single status affidavits need to be signed before a notary.

Finding the Form

An affidavit is a written statement that is sworn to by the affiant, the individual making the statement. A single status affidavit states that you are free to marry. A U.S. court may have blank affidavits; as an alternative, you may create one on your own or use an official form provided by the country that requires it. In Georgia, for example, the Georgia Superior Court Clerks Cooperative Authority is a public agency that works in support of the state's court system. The GSCCA offers a blank Single Status Affidavit, which is available on the agency's website. The City of New York also issues official "Certificates of Non-Impediment" to residents who need to certify there is no restriction on their application for a marriage license in the city. The affidavit form may also be available from a foreign embassy or consulate in the United States, or at U.S. consulate offices in foreign countries.


Before they issue a marriage license, most foreign countries require a single status affidavit, which may go by another name such as "Single Letter." The affidavit must bear your printed full name as well as the date you signed the affidavit. The local rules may also require your date and place of birth, occupation, citizenship information or Alien Registration Number, Social Security number, current address and passport number. You may also need to furnish one or more forms of identification, or a photograph.

Marital Status Statement

A single status affidavit must carry a statement that you have either never been married, or are currently free to marry after a legal divorce. If you have been divorced, a copy of the final decree issued by the court presiding over the divorce should be attached to the affidavit. The country requiring the affidavit may require that its own agent or official must witness or certify your signature.

Notarizing the Affidavit

A notary witnesses your signature and then verify your identity with a current and valid form of identification. The notary then signs the document and either stamps the paper near the signature or affixes an official seal. This stamp or seal reveals the state in which the notary is licensed and in some cases the expiration date of the notary's commission. A notary, or a court clerk serving as a notary, usually charges a fee for this service.


About the Author

Founder/president of the innovative reference publisher The Archive LLC, Tom Streissguth has been a self-employed business owner, independent bookseller and freelance author in the school/library market. Holding a bachelor's degree from Yale, Streissguth has published more than 100 works of history, biography, current affairs and geography for young readers.