How to Transfer Ownership of Land in North Carolina

By Salvatore Jackson - Updated May 31, 2017
Property deed

A deed is a legal instrument recording the legal ownership of a property. To transfer ownership of land in North Carolina, the owner must execute and file a deed transfer form with the registrar of deeds for the North Carolina county where the property is located.

Decide what kind of deed transfer you would like to use. North Carolina law recognizes two kinds: quitclaim and warranty. A quitclaim deed transfers real property without any guarantee of clear title, while a warranty deed guarantees that the property will be transferred without any encumbrances or competing claims to the property.

Download the appropriate deed form. The local registrars of deeds do not provide deed-transfer forms to the public. However, some county governments, such as Davidson County, provide templates for warranty deeds and quitclaim deeds. If your county government does not provide a deed transfer form, you may purchase one from a local stationery store.

Fill out the deed-transfer form. Provide the North Carolina excise tax and parcel identification number for the property being transferred. Provide your mailing address, name and a brief description for the recording index. Provide the current date, the name of the grantor (seller) and grantee (buyer). Provide the name of the town and county where the property is located. Indicate the Deed Book and page where the property and map of the property is recorded. Do not sign the deed transfer form yet.

Have your deed notarized. Have the seller sign in the presence of the notary, who must also sign the deed. Many banks in North Carolina provide complimentary notary service.

File your deed transfer with the North Carolina registrar of deeds in the county where the property is located. Pay any fees associated with filing.

About the Author

Salvatore Jackson began writing professionally in 2010. He has experience with international travel, computers, sports and law. Jackson is a licensed attorney with experience in legal research. He received his Juris Doctor from Tulane University in 2010.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article