How to File a Motion for Transfer

You must file a motion in order to effect transfer of a case.
••• Jupiterimages/liquidlibrary/Getty Images

A motion to transfer is a request to move a case from the existing judge or court. Motions to transfer can be requested for a variety of reasons, from inconvenience of the parties to the belief that the defendant cannot receive a fair trial in the jurisdiction where the matter is pending. You must file your motion to transfer with the court currently handling your matter.

Draft your motion to transfer. You can obtain a blank form from the clerk's office at your district or county courthouse. Include in the motion caption the information from your pending case. While specifics vary from state-to-state, your motion should contain a short statement as to your grounds for transfer, and affirmatively state the motion is made in good faith.

File the motion with the clerk of court, and upon paying the filing fees -- which can range from $25 to $200 -- you will receive a stamped copy along with a hearing date on your motion. Serve a copy of the stamped order via a special process server such as the county sheriff.

Read More: How to Write a Motion for Civil Court

Appear at hearing on your motion. The court will review the motion, and allow the opposing party to respond to your request. The court will examine a variety of factors in making a decision, such as the ease of obtaining witnesses in the new location, and ease of access to any property or individuals which are the subject matter of the case. If the court finds your motion to be reasonable, it will grant the change of venue.

Related Articles