How to Apply for Guardianship for Adults in California

By Angela Reinholz

Guardianship for adults in California is designed so that the guardian can make informed decisions for a disabled or reason impaired adult who is not capable of making rational decisions on his own. A full guardian is responsible for all decisions regarding living arrangements, daily life, medical and financial obligations and making sure that the ward is safe and well cared for. The person who applies to become a guardian is taking on the responsibility of caring for someone else's life.

Request a form 505 and the form GC 100 from a court clerk at the California County courthouse. This should be in the county in which the person who needs a guardian lives in or download the forms from online at the California Court Self Help website. The form 505 explains California guardianships, while the form GC 100 is the application to become a guardian.

Fill out all the information in the form GC100, including the names of everyone involved, if the adult in question is disabled or incapable of making decisions, the name of the person that is to get appointed as guardian and the reason why guardianship is necessary.

Attach supporting documentation to the reasons that the adult needs a guardian. This documentation can include death certificates of parents, recommendations by social workers, doctors or councilors and any other documentation that supports the cause.

File the documentation with the California county court and pay the fee that goes along with filing for guardianship. The fee for filing for guardianship can vary depending on the courthouse and the county in which the adult resides.

Attend the guardianship hearing with the adult who needs a guardian. Respond to any of the judges questions in a truthful manner and do not hesitate to ask questions about guardianship. The judge will ask questions of you, any witnesses that are in the courtroom and the adult who needs a guardian. The California judge will make a ruling on the guardianship and how much of a guardianship he thinks that the adult needs.

About the Author

Angela Reinholz is a full-time freelance writer. Reinholz started writing professionally in 2007, specializing in animals and social work with some branching off into legal matters. She has a Bachelor of Arts in psychology from Southern New Hampshire University and an associate degree in network administration from McIntosh College, located in Dover, N.H.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article