How to Request an Extension on a Traffic Ticket in Los Angeles

If you receive a traffic ticket, you may be eligible for a payment extension.
••• Police officer at the scene of the Jeep and car road accident. image by Dragan Trifunovic from

If you get a speeding or other type of basic traffic ticket in Los Angeles County, you can request a one-time extension on the L.A. Superior Court website. The website will allow you to extend the due date of your ticket payment, appearance date or traffic school completion if the system deems you eligible. Most counties offer online extensions of payments. Visit the website of the traffic court in the county in which you received the traffic ticket.

Navigate to the Los Angeles Superior Court website.

Click the link that reads "Request Extension" under the "Traffic" section on the right of the page.

Read More: How to Get an Extension on Traffic Tickets

Read the options listed on the page, and decide which one applies to you. You have the choice to click "Request Appearance Date Extension," "Request Fine Payment Extension" or "Request Traffic School Extension."

Click the appropriate link, and a pop-up window with the site's User Agreement will show up. Read the user agreement, and click "I agree" to continue.

Look through the choices on the drop-down menu, and select the court location that is listed on the top of your traffic ticket. Once you have selected the appropriate court location, click "Submit."

Enter the citation number, the law-enforcement agency that issued the ticket and your date of birth. This will help the system pull up your ticket. Click "Submit."

Verify that you wish to request an extension. The website grants a 60-day extension for appearing in court, a 90-day extension for paying a traffic ticket and a 30-day extension for completing a traffic school course. If the option to extend your due date does not come up, you are likely ineligible.


  • Do not delay paying a traffic ticket. If you have trouble with the online extension system, call or contact the court for assistance.
  • In some cases, it may take up to three weeks after the date of issuance for the ticket to appear in the county's online database.
  • You cannot defer paying the ticket indefinitely. You will only be granted one extension per ticket.


  • If you cannot find your ticket, you can look up your citation number and other details by entering your driver's license number into the website's database.
  • Be sure to print or save the page that pops up confirming your extension. This will be handy if a question arises about your extension.

Related Articles