How to Request Early Release From Jail

By Elizabeth (Lisa)Thompson
You can use a lawyer to appeal for early release from jail.

jail image by MLProject from <a href='http://www.fotolia.com'>Fotolia.com</a>

Sometimes, extenuating circumstances make it necessary for jailed individuals to seek early release. Urgent personal matters comprise one category, such as the death or serious illness of a close family member, the birth of one's own child, a domestic crisis or serious personal medical issues. Other circumstances may entail parole for good behavior or extenuating circumstances involved with your conviction. While these cases may be the exception, the proper appeal for early release will assist the judge in making a ruling in your favor.

Organize your case. Outline the relevant points.

Compose a rough draft, with the facts of the case and why you should be released.

Rewrite a final draft. Seek input from friends or family who may remind you of points your have forgotten. Others can help with grammar, spelling and sentence structure, if needed.

Talk to a lawyer and enlist legal advice, if needed. Lawyers specializing in early release from jail know the ins and outs of the court system and can assist you further with wording and with the proper format of your appeal.

Submit your appeal to the judge and wait for his response. Stay hopeful. If he does not approve the appeal on the first try, he may give you reasons that you can address in a rebuttal. You may need to wait and try again.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article