How to Find Out If Someone Has a DUI in Illinois

By Sally Brooks - Updated March 23, 2017
Woman writing

paperwork image by Pix by Marti from Fotolia.com

In Illinois, the Uniform Conviction Information Act, or UCIA, allows the public access to criminal records, including DUI convictions. You can request driving-under-the-influence conviction information from either the Illinois State Police or the Illinois secretary of state. Through the Illinois State Police, you can request the criminal history of an individual, and through the Illinois secretary of state, you can purchase another person's driving record, including information about any DUI convictions.

Illinois State Police Request

Request a Uniform Conviction Information Act form from the Illinois State Police website using the link in Resources.

Complete the request form with the name, sex, race and date of birth of the individual whose records you need. Each form must include the complete return address of the person requesting the criminal records and a check or money order for $16.

Mail the request form to:

Illinois State Police, Bureau of Identification P.O. Box 91008 Chicago, Illinois 60680-8805

Illinois Secretary of State Request

Complete a driving record abstract request form, including the driver’s license number and/or the name and date of birth of the driver whose record is being requested. This form is available online (see Resources) or at any Illinois secretary of state facility.

Include with the form a $12 fee, payable by cash, check or money order.

Return the form and fee to a secretary of state facility, or mail it to:

Secretary of State, Driver Analysis Section 2701 South Dirksen Parkway Springfield, Illinois 62723


If UCIA request is made for employment purposes, the applicant's signature must be included on the request form, and the employer is required to keep the signature on file for two years.

When a driving record abstract is requested for another person, that individual is notified of the name of the person requesting the records and the date the request was made.

About the Author

Sally Brooks has been a writer and stand-up comedian since 2006. Also a licensed attorney, Brooks' work has been featured in the "Temple Political and Civil Rights Law Review" and "Jurist." Brooks holds a Juris Doctor from the University of Cincinnati and a Bachelor of Science in health science from Purdue University.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article