How to Change a Name After Marriage in North Carolina

••• the marriage image by Warren Millar from <a href=''></a>

Related Articles

Changing your name after marriage in North Carolina begins with the official marriage certificate. Your marriage certificate can be used to change and update documents or notify others that your name has officially been changed

Contact your local Social Security office. If you do not know where your local office is, consult the Social Security Services office locator website for North Carolina.

Obtain an application for Social Security card (SS-5) form from the Social Security office. Generally, most offices have this form available online, or you can obtain a hard copy directly at the office location. Fill in the SS-5 completely.

File the SS-5 at your Social Security office. You will need to provide proof of your new name such as your original or a certified copy of your marriage certificate. After your application is reviewed and processed, you will be sent a new Social Security card with your changed name within several weeks.

Contact your local Department of Motor Vehicles. Apply for a new driver&#039;s license or state ID card using your new Social Security card and marriage certificate. You will be mailed a copy of your new card within two weeks.

Use your new Social Security and driver&#039;s license/state ID card to change any other official or legal documents--such as your bank account or passport--that need to be updated as a result of your name change.


About the Author

Marcello Viridis has been "working in writing" for the past six years. Since publishing his first article in 2004, he has written on a range topics from working and living overseas for the Wall Street Journal's Black Collegian website to legal essays for the Encyclopedia of American Civil Liberties. Viridis has a B.A. from Pomona College and a J.D. from Lewis and Clark Law School.

Photo Credits