How to Legally Change Your Name in Chicago

••• illinois outline image by Kim Jones from

Reside in the state of Illinois for at least six months.

Publish a "Notice of Intent" in a Chicago newspaper in your county once a week for three weeks, stating that you intend to change your name.

File a "Petition for Change of Name" with your county's circuit clerk. You are eligible to do this six weeks after your "Notice of Intent" first appears in a newspaper. With your petition, include a proof of publication, as well as an affidavit from someone (that is not a relative) verifying you are the person you claim to be. This affidavit must be signed in front of a notary public. If you reside in Cook County, the affidavit can be found on page three of the Cook County "Petition for Change of Name." Residents of DuPage County can find the affidavit at the bottom of page one on the DuPage County "Petition for Change of Name."

Attend the hearing in front of a court judge. The judge will ask you basic questions, such as where you were born, your age and questions to ensure you are not a sex offender or someone who is changing her name to defraud anyone or avoid legal processes. If the judge is satisfied with your answers, you will be awarded a legal name change.



About the Author

Chris Brower is a writer with a B.A. in English. He also spent time studying journalism and utilizes both to deliver well-written content, paying close attention to audience, and knowing one word could determine whether a product is a success or a failure. He has experience writing articles, press releases, radio scripts, novels, short stories, poems and more.

Photo Credits