How to Legally Change a Name on a Birth Certificate

••• birth marriage and death image by Warren Millar from

You must receive a court ordered name change form to change your name on your birth certificate.

Obtain and fill out a copy of an Application for Amendment of Birth Record to Reflect Court Order Change of Name, VS 23. This form is obtainable at your local department of health.

Include with your form VS 23 a certified copy of your court ordered name change.

Include with your application the fee required. Fees differ state to state, as do acceptable methods of payment. Check with your local department of health for information regarding this.

Take or mail your application to your local department of health or vital records department.

Your application will be reviewed, and you will be notified by mail within six to 10 weeks whether your application has been approved or denied. Processing times for your new birth certificate varies from state to state and can take up to seven months.


About the Author

Tiffany Raiford has several years of experience writing freelance. Her writing focuses primarily on articles relating to parenting, pregnancy and travel. Raiford is a graduate of Saint Petersburg College in Florida.

Photo Credits

  • birth marriage and death image by Warren Millar from