How to Get a Visa to Dubai for a Green Card Holder

By Eric Som - Updated June 05, 2017
Luxury Dubai Marina,United Arab Emirates

If you want to visit Dubai, the second largest emirate in the United Arab Emirates, you must apply for a UAE visa in person at the Embassy of the UAE in Washington, D.C. The Embassy issues only visit visas; it does not issue tourist or transit visas. To get a visa you first must receive sponsorship from an individual or an organization in Dubai/UAE.

Visit the UAE Ministry of Interior Naturalization and Immigration Department homepage and download a Visa Application Form (see Resources).

Complete the application by typing directly into the form, answering every question. Your application may be denied if you provide insufficient information.

Print two copies of your completed visa application form.

Make a copy of your passport. Your passport must be valid for at least six months.

Get two color passport-size photos of yourself, taken within six months of your application. The photos must be 4.3 x 5.5 cm.

Write a cover letter addressed to “Consulate Services, Embassy of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Washington, D.C.” The letter must provide details on who you are, your reason for being in the United States, the purpose of your trip to Dubai/UAE and a specific request for a visa.

Have your Dubai/UAE host or contact send you an invitation letter to the country.

If you are visiting an individual, the letter must clearly indicate that you are invited to Dubai/UAE, the relationship between you and the host/contact, the UAE address and phone number of your host, your host's acceptance of responsibility for you during your UAE stay, length of your visit and an explanation as to why you intend to stay in the UAE for that amount of time.

If you are visiting an organization, the letter must indicate clearly that you are invited to Dubai/UAE, the name of the organization, acceptance of responsibility for you by the organization during your UAE stay and the Dubai/UAE address and phone number of a contact in the organization.

Have the organization you are visiting send you a copy of its UAE business license if your visa application is sponsored by an organization.

Have your host/contact send you a copy of his UAE passport and residency permit if you are visiting an individual in Dubai.

Get a letter from your employer confirming your employment as well as your position in your place of work. If you are self-employed, you must get a copy of your business license. If you are a student, homemaker or a retiree, you must get a letter from your bank demonstrating that you are in good financial standing.

Make a copy of your U.S. Green Card/Permanent Resident Card.

Pay the visa-processing with a money order payable to “The Embassy of the United Arab Emirates.” As of April 2010, this fee is $150 (U.S. dollars) for a short stay visa and $300 for a long stay visa.

Apply for your Dubai/UAE visa in person by visiting the UAE Embassy in Washington, D.C., submitting your visa application and supporting documents. The Consulate Services office is open from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. ET Monday through Thursday and from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. ET on Friday. The address is as follows:

Embassy of the United Arab Emirates Visa Section 3522 International Court, NW Suite 100 Washington, DC, 20008

You may be required to attend a visa interview before your visa is approved.


If you plan to visit Dubai/UAE for less than one month and you are from an eligible country, you may qualify for a visa waiver (see Resources).

If you would like to have your Dubai visa processed faster, have your UAE sponsor/host process the visa from Dubai/UAE and then fax you a copy of the approved visa. According to the Embassy of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in Washington, this takes only four working days. If you apply through this method, you will receive your original visa when you arrive at a Dubai/UAE airport.

About the Author

Eric Som has been writing professionally since 2002, contributing to various websites. He is certified through the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners. Som holds a Bachelor of Arts in English and a Bachelor of Laws from Handong Global University. He also has a Juris Doctor degree from an Ohio law school.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article