How to Replace Your Social Security Card in Texas

By Roz Calvert

id form image by Alexey Klementiev from Fotolia.com

Replacing a Social Security card in Texas is the same process as in other states, and it can be done online. Doing it by mail, however, will mean you must send original documents--and you may not wish to do so. But you can download the application and have it ready to take to the SS office if you go in person. The replacement is free for a lost or stolen card. The Social Security office verifies your documentation, and you will receive the replacement card in the mail in about two weeks.

Download a copy of the Application for A Social Security Card (Form SS-5). The website where the application is found is ssa.gov/dallas/state_tx.html. You may also pick up a copy of the form at your local Social Security office. A list of Social Security offices in Texas can be found on the Internet at ssa.gov/dallas/state_tx.html.

Fill out the form and gather the documentation you will need to replace the card (see What You'll Need, above) These documents will prove your identity, U.S. citizenship and current work authorization status if you are not a U.S. citizen. Make copies of all documentation if you plan on requesting your replacement card by mail.

Mail your completed application to the address given along with the original documents included, not the copies. They will be returned to you. You may go to the Social Security Office or return it to the local office

Wait two weeks for your replacement card to arrive. If it does not, call the toll free number to check its status. 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.

File a report with the local police or the police department if you think the original card was stolen. It might be used for identity theft, and the thief may be able to get credit in your name. Keep a copy of the police report as proof of the crime. Notify the Federal Trade Commission that your card has been stolen (1-877-ID-THEFT or 1-877-438-4338); File a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center at ic3.gov; contact the fraud units of the three major credit reporting bureaus: Equifax (800-525-6285);Trans Union: (800-680-7289); and Experian: (888-397-3742).

About the Author

Roz Calvert was a contributing writer for the award-winning ezine Urban Desires where her travel writing and fiction appeared. Writing professionally since 1980, she has penned promotional collateral for Music Magnet Media and various musicians. The "Now Jazz Consortium" published her jazz educational fiction. She published a juvenile book about Zora Neale Hurston and attended West Virginia University and the New School.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article