How to Get Copies of a 941

How to Get Copies of a 941
••• Ryan McVay/Photodisc/Getty Images

The Internal Revenue Service's Form 941, also known as the Employer's Federal Quarterly Tax Return, is the form employers use to pay employment taxes and indicate the number of employees working for them. If you need a copy of a past Form 941 that you have filed, you can request a copy through the Internal Revenue System. Each copy costs $57.

Step 1

Open and print the official form from the Internal Revenue Service for requesting tax return copies. This form is called Form 4506, or Request for Copy of Tax Return. (See the Resources Section for a Form 4506 that you can print.)

Step 2

Fill out all of the required information as requested on Form 4506. This includes basic information such as your full name as listed on the tax return, your current address and your current name. You also must enter the "ending date of the year or period, using the mm/dd/yyyy format" of the tax return copy you are requesting. On line 6, enter "Form 941" as the type of return you are requesting.

Step 3

Write a check for $57 for each copy you are requesting. Make your check payable to "United States Treasury," and write your social security number along with "Form 941 request" on the memo line. Make sure you indicate how many copies you would like by filling in the number on line 8b.

Step 4

Consult the state chart on the second page of the form to find out where to send your form and check. If the Internal Revenue Service cannot locate your return, then it will refund your money.


  • The Internal Revenue Service states on its Request for Copy of Tax Return form that copies of the following forms are generally available for 7 years from filing, before they are destroyed by law: Forms 1040, 1040A and 1040EZ. It also states that all other returns may be available for a longer period of time.

Related Articles