How to Find Earned Military Medals

How to Find Earned Military Medals
••• Hemera Technologies/ Images

There are two options available to former United States service members who wish to see what medals they earned while in the military. Veterans can either go online or apply through the mail, so long as they have the proper form. A veteran’s next of kin is also granted the right to obtain the records that show the medals earned during service. If the records request is made by the veteran himself, or a next of kin, there is no cost associated with processing the information.

Step 1

Go to eVetRecs at and review the information provided. See the link to this site in the References section. Click on the “Request Military Records” button at the bottom of the screen. A new window will open.

Step 2

Read the disclaimer and Privacy Act information. Click on the “Continue” button.

Step 3

Answer the questions as to whether you are a veteran or the veteran’s next of kin. After you’ve finished, click the “Continue” button on right side of the window.

Step 4

Fill in the required information. You’ll be answering questions about the branch of military service, the component of his service and whether the veteran was an officer or enlisted. The seventh question will ask you to select the appropriate category for your request. Because you are searching for what medals the veteran earned during military service you should select “Military Awards/Decorations.”

Step 5

Press “Continue.” You’ll be taken to a screen that requires you to fill in the veteran’s personal information. You’ll need the vet’s Social Security number and service number. After you’ve finished, click “Continue.”

Step 6

Go to the next screen and complete the process. You will be given directions depending on your branch of service. Army veterans, for example, will need to print out the form provided and send it to the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. You may also be given the opportunity to fax the appropriate forms. Either way, you will be given the correct addresses and fax numbers.

Step 7

Go to the website listed as Reference 2 below if you choose to send your request by mail. Download Standard Form 180 and fill it out. Send the request to: The National Personnel Records Center 9700 Page Avenue St. Louis, MO 63132


  • Visit your local Department of Veterans Affairs for help with obtaining and filling out any additional required forms.

Related Articles