How to Change Your Name If You Are in the Military

••• michaeljung/iStock/GettyImages

Related Articles

Any military person may change his or her name. Marriage and divorce constitute the two main reasons for a name change in the military. The Army and the Navy both require a letter requesting the name change. The request must accompany legal copies of documentation that proves the name change. For other than marriage and divorce, an individual may petition a civilian court that has jurisdiction for a name change. On the approval of the petition, the individual goes through the same steps as any other name change request.

Write a letter requesting the name change. Provide the old name as well as the new name in the request. In the case of a divorce, you must ask the court to restore the maiden name during the divorce proceedings. Otherwise, you will need to go back to court to request the name change.

Provide the reason for the change in the request. Be specific and include dates if necessary.

Attach copies of the proper documentation that proves a valid name change. Attach either a copy of the marriage certificate, divorce decree, or a legal document approving a name change.

Send the request and documentation up the chain of command for approval.

Stop by the personnel office to verify the name change has become a part of the official military record.


About the Author

Kimberley Riccio has been writing professionally since 1978. She writes travel articles for various e-magazines and other online publications. Riccio holds a Bachelor of Science in business management from Wilmington University, culinary certification from Le Cordon Blu and a Master of Science in cultural sociology from the Defense Graduate Institute.