How to Check the Status of My Green Card Application

Passport stamps
••• davidmariuz/iStock/GettyImages

Related Articles

A permanent resident card, popularly known as a green card, is issued upon approval by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Your green card serves as evidence of your right to live and work in the United States permanently. If some time has passed and you still don't know whether your application was approved or denied, you can check your application status with USCIS.

Look Up Status Online

You can check your application, or case status, online by visiting the official website of the Department of Homeland Security, You'll be prompted to enter your receipt number, which is a unique number provided to you by USCIS after receipt of your green card application. The receipt number begins with three letters followed by 10 numbers, for a total of 13 characters, and is located on notice of action letters from USCIS. Omit any dashes but include any asterisks the receipt number may have. The case status online lookup tool is also available in Spanish.

Find Status by Phone

You can get live or automated assistance regarding your case status by calling USCIS toll-free at 800-375-5283 and providing your receipt number when prompted. Assistance is also available for the deaf, hard of hearing, the blind and callers with speech disabilities. Only automated assistance is available to callers outside of the country. You can call 212-620-3418 to check case status from out of the country.

Check in Person

To speak to someone in person, make an appointment with your local USCIS field office online. If you are from out of the country, you also have access to a field office or you can visit the closest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.