How to End Probation Early

••• Photobuay/iStock/GettyImages

Related Articles

If you have been sentenced to a term of probation after pleading to or being found guilty of a crime, you might still be able to obtain an early release. Follow this specific set of steps and you can position yourself to get off probation before your initial term is fulfilled.

Serve at least half of your probationary term before broaching the subject of an early release with your probation officer. The usual practice in nearly all jurisdictions is for the offender to complete at least 50 percent of his term before seeking an early termination of probation.

Satisfy all the court-ordered requirements of your probation. The typical probationary sentence requires a person to undertake certain tasks such as community service, counseling or payment of fines.

Schedule a meeting with your probation officer to discuss your desire to get off probation early. Courts tend to defer to the judgment of a probation officer in regard to an early release. If your officer agrees with your request for an early end to your probation, the judge is likely to concur.

Prepare and file a motion with the court requesting an early release from probation. (In some jurisdictions, if the probation officer agrees with your request, she will take this initiative on your behalf.)

Schedule a hearing date so that the court can consider your motion. In some locales the hearing is scheduled through the clerk's office, while in others it is done directly through the judge's office. You can retain an attorney to represent you at a hearing to get off probation early, although such assistance is not commonplace.

Appear at the hearing to present evidence in support of your request to get off probation early. If the probation officer concurs with your request, you likely need not present anything additional beyond this fact. If the officer does not concur, you will need to provide evidence showing you complied with all probationary terms and satisfied all requirements imposed in the initial probation order. If you undertook counseling of some sort, try to provide testimony from your counselor.



About the Author

Mike Broemmel began writing in 1982. He is an author/lecturer with two novels on the market internationally, "The Shadow Cast" and "The Miller Moth." Broemmel served on the staff of the White House Office of Media Relations. He holds a Bachelor of Arts in journalism and political science from Benedictine College and a Juris Doctorate from Washburn University. He also attended Brunel University, London.