How to Change a Name on a Louisiana Birth Certificate

There are two main reasons you may want to change your name on your birth certificate. Either there has been a misspelling, typographical error or other mistake on your birth certificate, or you may simply want to change your legal name altogether. The process to change your name on your birth certificate in Louisiana is the same regardless of the reason. However, the documentation you must provide will be different depending on your reason for the change.

Complete an application for change of name. You must submit an application to change your name on your birth certificate in Louisiana. The state provides a change of name forms at (see Resources for link), which can be downloaded and printed for submission.

Gather your supporting documents. If you are requesting a change due to a mistake on your birth certificate, you must send in a baptismal certificate, hospital letter or midwife letter to show your true name. If, on the other hand, you want a complete change of name, you must submit a court-ordered name change judgment, or an acknowledgment of paternity/legitimation. In some situations you may need to submit an affidavit from the parents along with other documentation.

Notarize necessary documents. Some of the supporting documents, such as the affidavit of a minor’s parents, must be notarized. The signatories must sign in the presence of the notary, who will then sign as well and notarize the document. If you need help finding a notary near you, do a search by location at (See Resources for link)

Request help from an attorney. If you need further help to move through the process of changing your name on your birth certificate, enlist the help of a professional. If you need help finding a lawyer, you can search for family law attorneys near you at Findlaw. (See Resources for links) You may need an attorney in order to obtain the court order for the name change or to establish paternity/legitimization. An attorney can even fill out the paperwork for you if you need the assistance, provided that you give him that right by signing an extra form to accompany the application.

Submit the application with the filing fee. Send your application, along with a photocopy of the child’s birth certificate, further identification, and supporting documents to the Louisiana Vital Records Registry at the address listed on the application. A fee of $18.50 must accompany the application.

Request copies of the amended certificate. You should request copies of the amended certificate in order to accomplish your change of name on your social security card, bank accounts, tax records, and other important documents. The request can be made to the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. When requested along with your application, the fee for the copies is $9; it is slightly more if requested at a later date.



About the Author

With more than 15 years of professional writing experience, MiShaun Taylor specializes in legal- and wedding-related articles. Her work has appeared in "Pediatrics for Parents," "ISBA News" and Taylor holds a Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of Illinois and a Juris Doctorate from the Chicago-Kent College of Law.